Sunday 22 April 2012

Modern World versus the Reality of Modern Living!

 
As a mum, wife & business women, my little boy is 16 months old going on 16 but I wouldn't change him for the world, the weeks are pretty chaotic balancing work, childcare, routines, housework & starting up a business with the husband. Some days I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry, sleep  or eat.

My husband works from home so has the boy during day, balancing emails, voicemails, conference calls & nappies! Alex, my little boy sleeps for about an hour & half to two hours a day in which time my husband organises meetings, conference calls, emails etc.

Once the boy had gone to bed around 7pm my husband & I head into the office and normally spend a few hours working before either crashing on the sofa or in bed.  Our business is online so leans itself to non-traditional office hours.

Weekends are no different really, balancing emails, calls & meetings between walks, the park & playtime.

Childcare is a particularly challenging issue, with grandparents not close by. We juggle things quite well but as the boy gets older its more & more difficult.

It enrages me that my little boy is missing brilliant social & learning opportunities due to the ridiculous cost of childcare.  I'm mindful that he does not suffer the same shyness that I had as a child.  With the early years in my sons life being so crucial to form the basis of good education, morality, self-discipline and social integration – consistency, common sense and most importantly love is provided all of the time.

Surely in order for our children to success in our modern world we must arm them with the tools to cope; well-rounded & grounded individuals.

I feel that society judges “oh you work full time & have a child" it's like one is ok but surely you can't do both.  Should this not be the norm?

I feel like society is saying "surely you can’t be a great mother, your son must miss out" I’m happy that whilst the hoover may only make it out once a week, on a good week, and sometimes a bowl of cereal constitutes dinner - I'm a great mother!

The current world may claim to be modern, but how many workplaces offer childcare to mums and dads?  One third of UK companies, clearly the minority!

The government childcare voucher scheme is just a not acceptable. £243 a month, thank you that pays for just over a week - what happens to the rest of the month?  Surely we should be more encouraging of parents to earn a living and support their family – did hard work ever harm anyone?  My thoughts are very “black and white” but after the Government has paid benefits for parents able and wanting to work – couldn’t we contribute more towards childcare costs instead?

Referring to my earlier statement that childcare costs are ridiculous, on the flipside £44 a day to take the responsibly of my son is pennies for the privilege.  The responsibility of looking after someone else's child is a precious opportunity and should not be taken lightly - I truly believe childcare workers are saints!

Why are innovative, forward thinking companies not encouraging a better family life by introduction better childcare and crèche facilities?  Pensions, healthcare and cars appear to be the norm for remuneration packages but I believe that modern working mums & dads are worth providing improved childcare too.

I’m sure like others, living in a city centre means driving out of the city for the closest nursery facilities (probably due to rental costs or availability in the city centre) 

My ambition and aspiration is to provide crèche facilities, as standard, as well as pensions, catering, health & dental care to my team. Happy & healthy workers surely = greater productivity, loyalty and commitment?  Is our modern world work force worth the investment?

This brilliant guest post was written by Angela Matthews, please follow her on Twitter @AnjMatthews - Thank you! :o)

2 comments:

  1. I am going to be a working mother and mortified at cost of childcare. Its almost better I become a stay at home mum but then I would loose my car (the only one we have) isolating me and my new family.

    Its so hard as the cost of living rises but not wages so Hub and I have to earn a full time salary each to pay bills and survive.

    Very interesting post, that I am sure represents most parents thoughts.

    @NatalieJayW
    @Typefacesocial

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes you really can do it all it's called team work.LOL. Something that needs addressing in societies current approach to family. We have to adapt but that does not mean we need compromise on our values. Love the personal approach you have given. For excellent care you have to work longer hours. Which means less time at home. If wages increased we could work less hours freeing up positions for the unemployed and allowing time for families to really connect. Less stress, more rest results in happy families and well adjusted children. Great Post !!!

    ReplyDelete