Wednesday 18 April 2012

How to juggle business and children!


There is no getting away from it – when you are passionate about something – whatever that may be, it is all consuming.  It takes up your every thought from morning till night and you do everything within your power to give your passion wings and make it fly.
I am a Mum.  First and foremost.  And I LOVE it.  I never realised how much I would love being Mummy and 4 years after the birth of my first child, I am still waiting for the novelty to wear off.  I will be the first to admit that I am somewhat OTT but I honestly cannot get enough of my children.

9 months ago, I discovered a new passion – my company, dorothyandtheodore.com.  What started life as a casual conversation with my friend and now business partner Emma over coffee and cake one day, now absorbs the only bit of my brain which isn’t planning the next outing, adventure or stage of weaning!

As anyone who has started their own business will tell you, it takes two big things to make it successful.  Patience – something I have none of but I do my best and Emma is great at reining me in, and hard work.  The sleepless nights which are par for the course with new babies (I have 6 month old Belle in addition to 4 year old Dalton, and Emma has 8 month old Joshua in addition to 3 year old Sophie) that coincided with the launch of D&T were put to good use not only feeding and nurturing our newborns but also exercising our brain power in terms of the next day’s ‘to do’ list.

Now that we are up and running, the ‘to do’ list seems to get longer each day.  And at the same time, time is flying by and our babies are well on their way to being toddlers and our toddlers are only a matter of months away from going to school.  Time, which has always been precious, is increasingly at a premium, and as any new mum will tell you – flying by far too quickly.  So it is super important to be really disciplined about our time and our roles. 

For me, juggling being a mum and a director of my own company, it is all about zoning my time.  Family time is just that,  - no ‘doing a bit or just this odd job’ and no sitting the children in front on the TV to try and make a phone call – although of course if I’m honest – those occasions do happen once in a while – sometimes there is just no getting away from it.  And work time – which in my schedule is when the children are asleep or one’s asleep and the other’s at pre-school, is the time to concentrate and focus on the tasks which need to be done for D&T.  I confess that I find it hard to ignore the flashing light on the Blackberry telling me that there is a new email, and often ‘challenge’ myself not to go pick it up and then am delighted with myself when I realise that I had successfully completely forgot about the email due to other distractions.  But this approach does centre the work time so that you are, I believe, efficient and focused, and use your time wisely and effectively.

They say behind every great man is a great woman, and I have to say that in my case there is a great man behind this – wannabe  - great woman.  I could not do what I do without my hubby’s support and ever ready acceptance that I had not had chance to plan or cook his tea or got the washing done.  But with his support, a huge amount of dedication, and an even bigger desire to make my children proud of me and prove to them that anything is possible if you work hard, I think I do an ok job of juggling D&T and my priority – my children.  It’s not perfect – I am always burning the midnight oil and can’t remember the last time I just sat and watched telly, but I’m getting used to the lack of sleep and seeing my beautiful children every morning is enough to remind me to be the best person I can be, for me and for them.

Sally Hall is director and co- founder of www.dorothyandtheodore.com.  Where stylish and beautiful products for parents and child are practical too! Follow Dorothy and Theodore on Twitter too @DollyandTeddy :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment